For Initial Consultation Call, If on Cell Phone, Click on (407) 260-6001

or Use the Consultation Email Form


Post Judgment Enforcement of Divorce and Paternity Decrees

By Orlando Divorce Lawyer Eduardo Mejias

Practicing Exclusively Family Law Since 2011


Why Divorces Frequently Require Post Judgment Enforcement of Their Decrees

Divorces are seldom truly over with the final judgment. Many divorced couples, or parents involved in paternity actions, find themselves re-hiring their divorce lawyers just months after the final judgment seeking a post judgment enforcement of the family court's decree. Why is it this way? Because, in comparison to criminal sentences, (jail time or probation), and civil judgments (defendant paying money to plaintiff), family law judgments are much broader and contain many more provisions that are more difficult to enforced and can be violated.

For the sake of brevity, I have distilled post judgment enforcement of decrees in divorce and paternity cases into two categories: “motions for contempt of court and "motions to compel compliance”.

Motions for Contempt of Court

Cases of Child Support and Alimony

Generally, a party that does not comply with a court order may be found “in contempt of court”.  Ex-spouses (or parents required to pay child support in a paternity action) face the prospect of a contempt finding whenever they do not make a child support or alimony payment. However, Florida courts will not hold a divorced ex-spouse in contempt of court in the specific case of not transferring assets as ordered in the divorce judgment.

All family court judges will seek the answers to these questions when presented with a motion for a contempt hearing regarding unpaid child support or alimony:

  • Did the the person ordered to make the payments pay the full amount in a timely manner?

  • If not, did he or she possess the ability to pay and still chose not pay the ordered amount?

  • If the answer to the second question is yes, then what are the appropriate sanctions to apply to the person responsible for paying in this case?

The bulk of the testimony and evidence at a contempt of court hearing usually revolves around the question of ability to pay. This is because a contempt finding requires proving that the person responsible for paying has that ability. And even if the judge holds that person in contempt, he or she can only be incarcerated if the judge concludes from the testimony and evidence that the paying party has the means to pay the ordered amount, and still does not pay it.

I emphasize the last point because many of my clients have mistakenly assumed that a motion for contempt of court leads automatically to a stay in the local jail. Quite the contrary, due process requires the appropriate answers to the three questions listed above.

This issue of a ability to pay, as well as the available sanctions is discussed on the page Child Support.

Motion to Compel Compliance With Court Divorce Decree

Transfer of Marital Assets

In divorce actions, many ex-spouses become frustrated when they do not receive marital assets that were ordered to be transferred to them (such as portions of bank accounts). Why can’t their spouses be found in contempt?

The answer lies in the constitution of the State of Florida. Our state constitution forbids imprisonment for the failure to pay a debt. The asset that a divorce court orders to be transferred constitutes a “debt” for the transferring spouse. In contrast, Florida courts consider paying child support and alimony obligations to be a way of furthering public policy, not merely satisfying a debt. Thus, these two duties fall outside the constitutional bar against imprisoning debtors.

Therefore, the spouse who has not received a promised asset distribution must resort to a “motion to compel compliance.” The motion to compel requires a more complex set of actions to achieve the asset distribution that the judge had originally ordered. For more information please see Property Distribution.

How to Compel Compliance With Transfer Of Assets

To “compel compliance”, in this case, means that a family law judge orders the other spouse to transfer the asset within a certain amount of time. But, if the paying spouse does not comply, the judge cannot order penalties that could eventually lead to imprisonment.

Filing spouses are limited to enforcing that order in the same way as any other civil judgment for money. This means that, after the final judgment, they must obtain a Writ of Execution to collect the amount granted by the judgment. After a period dedicated to the discovery of the obligor's assets, steps may have to be taken to obtain a lien on the subject property.

This process involves more complexities and nuances than are discussed here. In summary, collecting the actual assets granted by a judgment requires significant additional effort. You need an experienced and competent divorce lawyer to handle these situations.

How You Can Get Help

In the Orlando metro area, call me, family law attorney Eduardo J. Mejias, of AAA Family Law at (407) 260-6001 to schedule an initial consultation regarding any post judgment enforcement of divorce or paternity decrees.

At the consultation I will realistically assess your situation and quote you a fixed attorney retainer fee in advance of signing any contract or making any payment.

Our attorney retainer fees for post judgment enforcement of decrees range between $1,200 and $1,800 depending on their level of complexity.  See Our Retainer Fee Policies for more information on all the costs of our services.

AAA Family Law represents clients in all of the county courtrooms of the Orlando metro area.  We can also represent you in any family law appeal case in the state of Florida.



Call, If on Cell Phone, Click on (407) 260-6001 to Arrange a Consultation Time

Or Complete and Submit the Consultation Email Form

Before the Consultation You Will Be Asked to Complete an Intake Email Form

AAA Family Law

283 Cranes Roost Blvd., Suite 111

Altamonte Springs, Florida 32701

AAA Family Law is located in Altamonte Springs and serves clients throughout the Orlando Metro Area including, but not limited to, the following cities and unincorporated areas, by county: Orange County: Apopka, Bay Lake, Maitland, Ocoee, Orlando, Union Park, Winter Garden, and Winter Park; Seminole County: Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, Lake Mary, Longwood, Oviedo, Sanford, and Winter Springs; Volusia County: Daytona Beach, DeBary, DeLand, Deltona, and Orange City; Lake County: Clermont, Leesburg, and Mount Dora; Osceola County: Buena Ventura Lakes, Celebration, and Kissimmee; Orange, Lake, Osceola, and Polk Counties: Four Corners; Orange and Seminole Counties: Goldenrod.